Kunert, Anna T
Hydrology and water chemistry
Perfluorinated acids (PFAs)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPerfluorinated acids (PFAs) are widely used synthetic chemical compounds, highly resistant to environmental degradation. The widespread PFA contamination in remote regions such as the High Arctic implies currently not understood long-range atmospheric transport pathways. Here, we report that perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) initiates heterogeneous ice nucleation at temperatures as high as −16 °C. In contrast, the eight-carbon octanoic acid, perfluorooctanesulfonic acid, and deprotonated PFOA showed poor ice nucleating capabilities. The ice nucleation ability of PFOA correlates with the formation of a PFOA monolayer at the air−water interface, suggesting a mechanism in which the aligned hydroxyl groups of the carboxylic acid moieties provide a lattice matching to ice. The ice nucleation capabilities of fluorinated compounds like PFOA might be relevant for cloud glaciation in the atmosphere and the removal of these persistent pollutants by wet deposition.
CitationIce Nucleation Activity of Perfluorinated Organic Acids Ralph Schwidetzky, Yuling Sun, Janine Fröhlich-Nowoisky, Anna T. Kunert, Mischa Bonn, and Konrad Meister J.Phys.Chem.Lett.2021 12 (13), 3431-3435 DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpclett.1c00604
- Perfluorinated acids in Arctic snow: new evidence for atmospheric formation.
- Authors: Young CJ, Furdui VI, Franklin J, Koerner RM, Muir DC, Mabury SA
- Issue date: 2007 May 15
- Levels and trends of poly- and perfluorinated compounds in the arctic environment.
- Authors: Butt CM, Berger U, Bossi R, Tomy GT
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 1
- The enhancement and suppression of immersion mode heterogeneous ice-nucleation by solutes.
- Authors: Whale TF, Holden MA, Wilson TW, O'Sullivan D, Murray BJ
- Issue date: 2018 May 7
- Ice nucleation by particles containing long-chain fatty acids of relevance to freezing by sea spray aerosols.
- Authors: DeMott PJ, Mason RH, McCluskey CS, Hill TCJ, Perkins RJ, Desyaterik Y, Bertram AK, Trueblood JV, Grassian VH, Qiu Y, Molinero V, Tobo Y, Sultana CM, Lee C, Prather KA
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 14
- Perfluorinated acids in air, rain, snow, surface runoff, and lakes: relative importance of pathways to contamination of urban lakes.
- Authors: Kim SK, Kannan K
- Issue date: 2007 Dec 15